Wednesday, April 10, 2013

We are the ever-living ghost of what once was.

I have run out of wine.
My Spanish tutor stood me up.
I'm getting a cold.
I can't go away on the up-coming long weekend because all of the trains are booked out.
I am so not getting any kissage while I'm here. I can tell. It's not going to happen.

Wah wah wah, sook sook sook...aaaanyway....

Enough of that, this is actually going to be a post about my favourite place in Hanoi so far: Hanoi Social Club.

It's a restaurant/bar located down a great little inner-city laneway in a narrow three-story building in her 80s. She looks good for her age unlike many other old buildings around town. The laneway is like an oasis on the fringes of the chaotic Old Town.

 I think what I like best about Hanoi Social Club is its Melbourne feel (I'm not doing well with this whole ' embrace Hanoi' thing). It's a hub for expats/travellers in Hanoi and has cool (though, blatantly hipster) events like Ukulele classes.

 A couple of weeks ago I went there to meet a group of other newbies to Hanoi and a couple of locals we sat on the covered roof terrace as it pounded down with effing crazy torrential rain. It was a really nice evening and I went back the next morning by myself for brunch. BRUNCH. BRUNNNNNCH. I miss Melbourne brunch so much so it was really comforting to eat French Toast and drink a caffe latte which tasted like home. Perhaps even better than home.

After I had finished my brunch I chatted with the Australian woman who was working that morning as I signed up to be on the mailing list, I told her I am a history teacher, and that afternoon she emailed to tell me about a local history group she had remembered about. How nice! I could rave about this place, the atmosphere, the staff, and the food for ages but for some reason it's making me feel homesick again so I'll stop.

Great place, if you're in Hanoi you should go! Just don't order the bamboo fries, that was a mistake.





 My Photos of Hanoi Social Club

No comments:

Post a Comment